If you have been to the Career Center any time in the past three years, you’ve heard us talking about Handshake. If you haven’t activated your account, this is the time to do it. We’ve already seen 49% of Hampden-Sydney students have activated their Handshake. Here’s the breakdown by class as of March 2020:
- Class of 2020: 82.4%
- Class of 2021: 64.2%
- Class of 2022: 37.6%
- Class of 2023: 26%
To make the most of this tool, here are a few of the most Frequently Asked Questions about Handshake:
Why should I make a Handshake account if I already use other job sites?
Handshake is the only place that connects you, your school, and employers together. All of the jobs on Handshake are meant for students—in fact, Handshake has the most opportunities for students and new college grads of any job platform. It’s also the only place to find employers who are recruiting specifically from Hampden-Sydney College.
TIGER TIP: In the Jobs search box, type “Hire A Tiger” and you’ll see opportunities straight from H-SC alumni.
Why do I need to fill out my Handshake profile?
Your profile is the key to finding a job or internship on Handshake. When you fill out your profile:
- Handshake gives you personalized job recommendations based on the information you provide on your profile—so you can find jobs and internships that are right for you.
- You increase your chances of having a recruiter message you directly with job opportunities and event invitations. In fact, according to Handshake, 80% of students who fill out their profile receive a message from a recruiter.
Which parts of my Handshake profile are most important to include?
In addition to your major, Handshake also uses your job interests to recommend opportunities to you. Your job interests include:
- Job type: select part-time job, full-time job, or internship.
- Job location: choose the cities that you’d like to live and work in.
- Job roles: select at least three positions that interest you.
TIGER TIP: You can change and update your career interests at any time.
What are the top things employers search for?
After job interests, these are the most popular fields that employers use to find students they’d like to message:
- Work experience:Have you had a part-time job, internship, work study, research position or volunteered? Employers like to see that you’ve taken on responsibility, and that these experiences have helped you develop valuable skills.
- Skills: Add technical skills like SQL and soft skills like communication. The more skills you list, the better your chances are of showing up in an employer search.
- Clubs and organizations: These highlight your unique interests and involvement on campus.
Why should I make my profile public?
Employers are able to find and view your profile only when you make it visible to them. So help employers find you! Make it public so you’ll show up when they’re searching for students to recruit for jobs and internships.
TIGER TIP: You can also make your profile visible to other students, so you can connect with them for advice, or help them – supporting each other is how the future of our alumni network is strengthened.
Don’t worry—your profile will not be public to employers that have not been approved by your school, or to anyone without a Handshake account. You control your privacy.